Early forms of pizza has been around since the beginning of food, when various ancient cultures produced basic flatbreads with several toppings. Only after tomato sauce was added to focaccia bread did our modern version of pizza come into existence – thanks to the residents of Naples, Italy.
Nowadays, most restaurants change the toppings to modernize their pizza. But in our world, we are changing the bread to modernize the pizza and bring a new twist to the world’s most famous pie.
Phyllo dough is typical in Mediterranean cuisine and has been around since the 13th century. Mastering the paper thin rolling and stretching of the dough can take a long amount of time, skill and experience. So, I recommend a local bakery or supermarket to purchase phyllo dough and then add the vegetable layer to your Phyllo Veggies Pizza.
This pizza is light, fluffy, refreshing and will impress your guests.
Phyllo Veggie Pizza
- 10 sheets phyllo dough thawed
- Cherry tomatoes in different colors halved
- 2 large tomatoes
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 large red onion cut into wedges
- 1 cup mini sweet peppers sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup mixed Goat Cheese and Asiago Cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chop fresh oregano and thyme
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup of Bari’s Garlic Infused Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Salt and pepper
Step 1: Get Started
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- Thaw phyllo dough following package instrucciones (usually 1 roll comes with 10 sheets).
Step 2: Prepare All Vegetables
- Slice large tomatoes.
- Slice mini peppers.
- Cut cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Cut red onion into wedges.
Step 3: Prepare Phyllo Sheets
- Unroll phyllo sheets.
- Cover with a slight damp paper towel (to prevent drying out).
Step 4: Create Cheese Mixture
- In a mixing bowl, add goat and asiago cheese.
- Add minced garlic cloves, oregano, and thyme- salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
Step 5: Create Olive Oil Mixture
- Mix egg with olive oil and water.
Step 6: Prepare Bread
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a baking sheet.
- Lightly brush the phyllo with the olive oil mixture- repeat this with the nine other phyllo sheets; putting one on top of the other.
Step 7: Pre-Bake Bread
Step 8: Layer Pizza Bread
- Remove from oven.
- Cover the top layer with the cheese mixture.
- Then layer the basil leaves.
- Then cover with the rest of ingredients.
Step 9: Bake Pizza
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!
Follow Marianela on: